Massive unanswerable problem with CDE & VNC.

Mike Valley mvalley "at" azerity.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:50:42 +0000

I finally was able to solve it. Thanks for everyone's response to the
problem.

It turns out there was some problem with XFS starting by inet.conf

So, I removed XFS from inet.conf and started it manually with:

"xfs -config fontserver.cfg &"

I also changed fontserer.cfg to include all the font paths that were on
display :0. You can do this by typing "xset -display :0 -q" and copying
those
font paths into fontserver.cfg.

(BTW, I tried the inet.conf XFS auto start with the new font paths and it
still crashed. So, the fontserver.cfg wasn't the problem.)

Then I edited out the vncserver script and added "-fp tcp/localhost:7100"
for the font path.

After that, it worked beautifully.

I suspect that there might be a problem with the fs auto start script that
is run by inetd.conf because when I ran that script, vncserver would freeze
when trying to access the font server.

Hope this helps some other people with the problem. If you have any
questions, let me know.

------
Mike Valley
Network Engineer