Massive unanswerable problem with CDE & VNC.

Mike Valley mvalley "at" azerity.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:53:58 +0000

I've been having a problem with VNC with Solaris 8 that has been driving me
CRAZY. Here is the scoop:

I'm trying to run CDE over VNC. I cannot get it to work.

The consistent error I always receive in startlog is:
/usr/dt/bin/dthello: display unix:1.0 doesn't know font -dt-interface
system-med
ium-r-normal-l*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
/usr/dt/bin/dthello: display unix:1.0 doesn't know font fixed

the startup continues, but no window manager load and if I try to start an
application  like dtpad, I get:

---------
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Escape,_Key_Cancel" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Home,_Key_Begin" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Shift<Key>F10,_Key_Menu" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F10,Shift_Key_Menu" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>KP_Enter,_Key_Execute" to type
VirtualBindi
ng
Warning: Cannot convert string "Alt<Key>Return,Alt_Key_KP_Enter" to type
Virtual
Binding
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface
system-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-
*-*-*-*" to type FontSet
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Warning:
    Name: FONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG_STRING
    Class: XmRendition
    Conversion failed.  Cannot load font.

Warning:
    Name: FONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG_STRING
    Class: XmRendition
    Conversion failed.  Cannot load font.

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface
user-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*-
*-*-*" to type FontSet
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Warning:
    Name: FONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG_STRING
    Class: XmRendition
    Conversion failed.  Cannot load font.
-------------

I'm running Xsession & in ~/.vnc/xstartup:

according to xset, the font path is:
Font Path:

/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr
/o
penwin/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/openwin/l
ib/X
11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/font
s/Xt
+/

I have tried running XFS and setting the font path to :tcp/localhost:7100.
Still no luck.

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Mike