"IdleTimeout" not working on all computers ... why ?

Stefane Bridy stefane_bridy "at" yahoo.com
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:21:24 +0000

On the intra-network, often people forget about the connection
they made, and with the number, it slows down a lot the whole
network.

Therefore I wanted to set IdleTimeout to 10 minutes in the
register. It tried on my NT4 laptop (with the .reg file below)
and it works great!!  BUT, when I installed the .reg file on
other NT4 desktop computers, ... it didn't work. It never
terminated the connection!

I checked in the register, but the new parameters where there.
And when I clicked on the task bar green tray icon, I could see
that "Properties" was in grey (disabled), hence obeing the
"AllowProperties" option.

The machines are service pack 5 with WinVNC 3.3.3 R9, so it
should be ok. The only problem I can think of is that on some,
VNC is installed as a service ...   but shouldn't it work anyway
?

Anyone an idea ?

Thanx a lot

    Stifane

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\WinVNC3]
"IdleTimeout"=dword:00000258
"Password"=hex: ... well, hidden :-)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\Default]
"IdleTimeout"=dword:00000258
"Password"=hex: ... well, hidden :-)
"AllowProperties"=dword:00000000