[patch] option for vncserver to allow more traditional exitin g of X

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil "at" mindwarp.smart.net
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:03:08 +0000

>From: Ryan Hayle <ryan "at" savvynet.com>
>To: "'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'" <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
>Subject: RE: [patch] option for vncserver to allow more traditional exitin g of
>Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:03:51 -0500
>
>Funny, I was -just- trying to figure out what was wrong with VNC that it
>-wasn't- doing this.  Out of curiosity, what could possibly be the point of
>not exiting when the Xsession terminates like any normal X server?  I can't
>think of any possible reason for this.
>Anyways, this seems a better solution than mine, which was to put 'vncserver
>-kill :1' at the end of my .Xsession file, and always start the server on
>display 1!  I hope this functionality gets integrated into the main VNC
>source tree!
>
>Ryan

It may reflect typical use.  An X server serves one or more people in
one place, while a VNC server typically serves just one person that
might be moving around.

But in the case of Xvnc, it might be used either way.  I was looking at
it as a way to run old stupid apps that only worked with an 8-bit
visual as the default, when I would prefer to run with a 24-bit visual
as the default.  That meant that I was using vncviewer and vncserver
in the same place, and I wanted to be able to exit the VNC "desktop"
in a familiar manner rather than by manually running a separate command.

So what I did (at least in what it offers, if perhaps not in the details
of how I did it) makes sense to me, in that it caters to either sort
of use of Xvnc.

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

mailto:rlhamil "at" mindwarp.smart.net  http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil