Auto Install VNC on Win2K Domain ?

Richard Harris richard.harris "at" nottscc.gov.uk
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:07:40 +0000

Hi,

> I am trying to push VNC to my workstations with my current registry
> settings.  I think there are 2 or 3 possible ways to do this.

The main part of installing on Windows is what rigths the user has. If your target
machines are Windows 9x / ME, then security isn't a problem. You can use a
custom built setup.exe (again on www.darkage.co.uk/vnc/) or make your own
batch file to do it. Either will work.

If you clients are NT or 2000, then it's a little more complicated. This is as most
users don't have the security permissions to create services or mess about with
the registry. If you're trying to roll VNC out on them, then go with my fastpush
script.

I've heard from a few people that MSI works well with W2k. However, I've not
heard good about setting the VNC password via a policy. I'd be tempted to
keep it simple at go with either of the top two options.

On top of all that, if VNC is already installed, and you just want to alter the
password, then you *might* be able to stick an updated reg file in the login
script and it should work (if the users are able to access the registry. I don't
think regedit /s newpass.reg will work on NT though).

HTH

Rich