xfs with vnc on OpenBSD/RedHat Linux

Louis Sabet louis "at" webtedium.com
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 19:52:45 +0000

I'm having problems getting VNC to use an external XFS server.

I have two machines:

One RedHat machine which is running XFS and VNCSERVER. This uses XFS ok when
I modify one of the lines in /usr/bin/vncserver to read $cmd = "Xvnc -fp
tcp/localhost:7100 :$displayNumber";

I also have an OpenBSD server which is running VNCSERVER and I want to
connect to XFS on the RedHat machine. This is the machine I can't get to
work. VNC itself works fine, but I can't connect to the XFS server. The xfs
port is open to external clients, as I can telnet to port 7100 on the redhat

The line in /usr/local/bin/vncserver on the OpenBSD machine currently reads:
$cmd = "Xvnc -fp tcp/redhat:7100 :$displayNumber";

although I have also tried the following to no avail:
$cmd = "Xvnc -fp tcp/ :$displayNumber";
$cmd = "Xvnc -fp tcp/redhat.sabetonline.com:7100 :$displayNumber";

redhat and redhat.sabetonline.com are in /etc/hosts, both are pingable and
as I mentioned earlier, the port is clearly open to connections as I can
telnet to port 7100. TCP is enabled on the RedHat machine's XFS config file.

Can anyone offer any tips?

Many thanks,

Your mouse has moved. Your computer must be restarted for these changes to
take effect.
R)eboot   (C)ancel