Auto Install VNC on Win2K Domain ?

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:15:32 +0000

Mark_Johnson "at" URSCorp.com wrote:

> I am trying to push VNC to my workstations with my current registry
> settings.  I think there are 2 or 3 possible ways to do this.
> 1. Using the "FastPush" script: http://www.synik.f9.co.uk/vnc/
> 2. Using a customizable setup creator: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.htm
> 3. Using Win2K Group Policies to install ?

Have you looked at MSIEXEC? It's the windows installer toolkit
thingy. We've successfully pushed out software to NT4.0sp6
clients with it. You basically create a MSI file with the
registry changes and the files you want to install, and it
does the rest. There's a few links about it here:

http://www.swynk.com/trent/Articles/msiexeccom.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/hh/msi/app_4w9x.asp
http://www.realtimesoft.com/update/default.asp

and a link to the instmsiw.exe file (cos I had trouble
finding it otherwise):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdn-files/027/001/456/instmsiw.exe

We haven't used it for VNC (we modified fastpush), but if we
get round to it, I'll post the .msi file here.

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst