WinVNC 3.3.3r7/r9 and Win2K Reboots

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:14:15 +0000

To clarify a few points about sudden reboots of Win2K and their apparent
relation to WinVNC in some cases:

WinVNC can be very CPU, network and display intensive.  The consequences of
this are that a problem in any one of these systems can cause seemingly
unpredictable bluescreens or even sudden reboots.

Problems with drivers will usually show up in the form of blue-screen
errors, which suggests that the recently reported problems are not in
drivers.  However, ensuring that you have the latest drivers for your system
and, where possible, that they are certified drivers for Win2K, is a good
plan.

As for sudden reboots without the normal bluescreen - this could be caused
either by a faulty power supply (a very common cause), or by a motherboard
previously damaged by a faulty power supply, or by the power supply being
incapable of powering a machine with so many devices, or by the CPU
overheating and the motherboard shutting it off, for example.

Obviously, these are just examples but in my experience they're good things
to check.  Programs such as SiSoft's Sandra can often highlight subtle
problems in systems.  (I mention Sandra because I personally have used it
and I would recommend it - this is not a formal endorsement and has nothing
to do with AT&T Labs, AT&T, or the LCE!)

Cheers,

---
James "Wez" Weatherall