VNC Commander - what is it? (newbie)

Thu, 06 Sep 2001 13:10:30 +0000

The only way to do this that I can think of on Windows without "knowing
their IP address"  would be to set up a dynamic DNS solution (there are a
number of providers for this, off-hand see http://www.dyndns.org and if you
want to set up your own "service" I think I saw something on
http://freshmeat.net).  In this method, there's a small client program that
runs on the windows machine you want to control, you set each machine up
with it's own hostname (ie, box1.domain.com, box2.domain.com, etc), and
therefore when each machine "connects" to the network, the client program
broadcasts out the system's current IP to the configured DNS server - so you
can always hit "box1.domain.com" and always have it go to Bob's machine.

On second thought, the other way to do this would be to use VNCScan from
your desktop if you as the controller are running Windows as well (see the
"contrib" section on the VNC site), except you may have to scan frequently
depending on how long you've set your DHCP leases to expire.

Good luck.

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellen Reisinger [mailto:itadmin "at" sanderson.nt.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2029 3:18 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: RE: VNC Commander - what is it? (newbie)

Wow!  This is great!  We currently have no systems in place to manage our
300 odd computers and 5 servers.  We have just started getting into VNC. I
can't wait to have winVnc installed on all the workstations!

With VNC Commander - Is there a limit to the number of computers you can
have listed? What limit is there to the number of concurrent connections?
 Guess this is all in the documentation.

Question about winVNC ... we use dhcp, is there a way that i can log into
systems without having to know their ip address, for example using the
adapter address (as this info is readily available on my asset db)?

Ellen