Bug report v3.3.3 r9 - Win2k machine reboots on exit

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:25:49 +0000

Jeff,

    Have you tried running WinVNC as any other user (especially
non-administrative ones) and doing the same thing?
    It sounds as though your machine may have a virus or hardware problem.
No application should be able to cause an instant reset of an NT/2K box
unless NT/2K has a bug that allows it, or the installation is in some way
broken.

    Cheers,

---
James "Wez" Weatherall

---
Hi there,

Running a 700 Mhz Athlon with a 3dfx Voodoo 3 display adapter. Lots of disk
space. 128MB memory. Win2k Pro, service pack 2. No known issues with the
hardware configuration.

If I start my machine, start VNC in app mode, wait till the icon appears on
my
task bar, and then right mouse click on the icon, and Exit, about 2 out of 3
times I get an immediate reboot of my machine. No shutdown - it's as if I
pressed the reset key.

I had thought it was limited to this circumstance, but I just managed to
whack
out my machine after some hours of running when I tried to Exit VNC.

No mention of this in the mailing list that I can find so I thought I'd log
it.

Regards,

Jeff Veit

http://www.tanasity.com/ - Tanasity develops software and net applications
http://www.tangledtime.com/ - Discussion about the net, software and
business
- - come and contribute. Technophiles, it's PHP. Feel free to discuss the
merits
of server side development languages and environments.

Tanasity
Tel: +44 (0)1223 721513
Email: jeff.veit "at" tanasity.com