Interactively Disable Local Keyboard and Mouse

Fisher, Dave david.m.fisher "at" eds.com
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 21:48:34 +0000

These are shop floor PCs that I want to be able to view from my desk without
inhibiting input from someone on the shop floor if the are using it.  If I
see it is not being used.  I want to lock out input from the local keyboard
and then take over control of it.

The registry settings you talk about will not work since the query option
will only give me access to the PC if someone is at the PC and using it.  I
do not want to access it then, I want to access it if no one is there.  If
no one is there, then no one can accept my request and I will not be able to
access the PC.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Palocz [mailto:spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 12:21 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: RE: Interactively Disable Local Keyboard and Mouse

First off, why don't you just notify the users when you will be doing
updates. How would you like it if your boss comes by and said get out of
your chair, I am using your system.

Since the makers of VNC thought of this, There is an option you can set in
the registry for a message to be displayed stating something about someone
is taking control of this system do you want to let them... (what is even
better is you can set it to disconnect or accept if it times out (no one is
there)).

Check the vnc doc, or the new version of Tight has this as an option on the
advanced settings screen for the server.

Steve