Interactively Disable Local Keyboard and Mouse

Steve Palocz spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:26:11 +0000

First off, why don't you just notify the users when you will be doing
updates. How would you like it if your boss comes by and said get out of
your chair, I am using your system.

Since the makers of VNC thought of this, There is an option you can set in
the registry for a message to be displayed stating something about someone
is taking control of this system do you want to let them... (what is even
better is you can set it to disconnect or accept if it times out (no one is
there)).

Check the vnc doc, or the new version of Tight has this as an option on the
advanced settings screen for the server.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Fisher, Dave
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 11:40 AM
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: Interactively Disable Local Keyboard and Mouse

I am using WinVNC on several NT PCs and I have set them all up to disable
the local keyboard when I access them with VNCViewer.

The problem is when I view one of them and someone is currently using it, It
looks to them as if the PC locked up.

I know I can enable the keyboard and mouse to work while I access the PC,
but if I want to update something on the PC I would like to disable them
while I am doing the update.

Does anyone know of a way to interactively disable and enable the local
keyboard and mouse?