VNC remote install and connection closed

Carius, Frank frank.carius "at" netatwork.de
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:50:56 +0000

Thank you Richard for your feedback,
I read your site and ist really good stuff

I'll try to adapt these things.

On feedback to http://www.darkage.co.uk/vnc/largescale.htm
Wir NT4 you can use the Reskit Tool "NETDOM" to query the
Domaincontroller f|r a list of all Windows NT Stations in that domain
(Computer accounts in the sam) to get a complete list pf Workstations.
With Windows 2000 you can of course use "LDIFDE" or "CSVDE" to export
the same information from the AD.

But i found a more genuine way to push VNC to workstations.
Simply create a hidden share on the PDC like "VNC$" and grant everyone
create.
And than let the user logon script create a file with the following
code:

If not exist %systemroot%\winvnc.exe echo vncmissing >>
\\pdcname\vnc$\%COMPUTERNAME%.vnc
If exist %systemroot%\winvnc.exe     echo vncmissing >>
\\pdcname\vnc$\%COMPUTERNAME%.vncok
So you get a list of all computers with VNC installed and not installed.
Ist easy to let a AT-Job or a permanent batch running on the DC to check
the directory f|r new *.VNC Files and to trigger fastpush for that PC.
:-)

Software management the light way.  To make it better you can use
"filever"  (ResKit) to check the version of VNC and to send updates etc.

W2K makes it easier with Policies to distribute winvnc server

--
Frank Carius
http://www.NetatWork.de , Riemeke Str 160, 33106 Paderborn