New user

David Jackson david "at" jdavidj.freeserve.co.uk
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 10:51:36 +0000

Thanks Pete
No, I am not trying to dial up via the Internet, I am trying to do it direct
via the telephone line.  This is what I cannot understand.  If I can connect
two machines through a coaxial cable, why can I not connect the same two
machines through a modem and phone line?

On the Server machine, the IP address is 10.1.0.11, or at least that is what
comes up when I hover the mouse over the vnc icon on the desktop toolbar.

Having said that, I have just hovered over the icon on this PC and I now get
62.137.158.158.192.168.0.1  Is the first part of this the dynamic IP?
Cheers
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete [mailto:pete "at" atdt911.com]
Sent: 01 September 2001 06:15
To: David Jackson
Subject: Re: New user

> OK.  So I dial up through my usual ISP, and use whatever IP I am given for
> each computer?

Right. It can be tedious figuring out what a dynamic IP is; you might want
to look into a dynamic DNS server.

http://www.cjb.net/
http://www.dns2go.com/
http://www.dynip.com/

> The network of 5 dials up to the Internet via the Server, each workstation
> using Winvnc to get the Server screen and then using that screen for dial
up
> via the Server modem to the Internet.

OK, so they've only got 1 public IP -- on the server machine. Run
WINIPCFG.EXE on that machine and that'll tell you what its IP is.

> Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.
>
> Cheers
> David

IP
> usually changes on each connection.
>
> On the 5 client PCs you describe, same thing, but they would hopefully
have
> static IPs. Do you know if they're using a proxy or have their own DNS
> server and are using DHCP? How do they connect those 5 machines to the
> internet?

Birmingham,