TightVNC crash on 6 of 16 NT servers

Const Kaplinsky const "at" ce.cctpu.edu.ru
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:21:23 +0000

Hello,

EC> Two days ago I installed TightVNC 1.20 on 16 Windows NT 4.0/SP6a
EC> servers in place of plain VNC 3.3.3r9. On 6 of the servers, when I
EC> try to connect, TightVNC server gives a Dr. Watson error, and
EC> stops working (I've tried both clients, with the same results). So
EC> far, the other 10 servers are okay.

EC> All of the servers will let me connect within a few minutes after
EC> I boot them, but within the next hour or the next day, TightVNC
EC> stops working.

EC> I didn't have problems with the 3.3.3r9 server.

EC> The servers each have different combinations of hardware, so the
EC> problem doesn't appear to be caused by a specific piece of
EC> hardware.

EC> To install TightVNC, I replaced the old VNC files, and then
EC> uninstalled and reinstalled the VNC service, and rebooted the
EC> servers.

EC> Should I switch all the servers back to 3.3.3r9, or is there
EC> another solution? Did I install TightVNC incorrectly? I originally
EC> installed VNC 3.3.3r9 with the install program.

I have not seen crashes with latest TightVNC version yet, and if I
could re-produce the problem, or to clarify conditions causing the
server to crash, that could help me to locate and fix bugs that might
cause the problem. What color mode do you use on servers and does
changing screen mode (e.g. 24bit -> 16bit) change anything? Do these
crashes depend on encoding or cursor pointer mode used? Maybe there is
something where machines differ (e.g. video drivers)?

Also, I'd like to know, does anybody else experience similar problems?

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin