New user

Scott C. Best sbest "at" best.com
Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:33:14 +0000

David:
	Hello! I like these easy ones. :) You cannot
connect to the LAN from *outside* of the LAN because
of the security provided by the device which is
connecting that LAN to the Internet. Sometimes called
a firewall/router, sometimes called a gateway, sometimes
it's part of the DSL/Cable modem itself.
	Those things do (amoung other things) something
called Network Address Translation, a process specified
by RFC-1918. That address range you mention, 192.168.x.y
is called a "private address range". So, as a packet
travels from a network device to the Internet, the
gateway device tranlates it into a "real", world
routable IP address assigned by your ISP.
	So to connect to a VNC server behind one of these
gateways, you have to point to this "external IP address",
not the 192.168.x.y one. Write back with what sorta gateway
device you're using and we can help more!

-Scott