Resolution

Ehud Karni ehud "at" unix.simonwiesel.co.il
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:50:47 +0000

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:54:52 -0500, Matt Keyes <matt_keyes "at" qbsol.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to show, for instance, a 1024x768 size VNC client off
> a server?  Can this be done even if the server itself cannot handle
> (i.e. a weaker video card)?
>
> I've got a Linux VNC server and the client is on a Win32 machine.

Since your VNC server is Linux which has only VIRTUAL screens (doesn't
use video cards at all) you can specify any size you want. The way to
do it is to give the geometry argument (e.g. -geometry 1170x900) on the
vncserver wrapper script or to Xvnc command.

As to the question of the client display of larger screens, there is no
problem, it will be displayed with scroll bar(s). On the M$ Windoze
client there is a small bug, the vertical scroll bar will always overlay
part of the shown screen, even if there is enough width to ADD the
scroll bar on the side (I had a screen of 650x2096 with this problem,
I solved it by changing it to 660x2096).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign