Macintosh Keyboard/Mouse mappings

David Morley davidmorley.remove.this.bit "at" mac.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:04:08 +0000

I would like to access an XVnc server on a UNIX machine from a Macintosh (either Mac OS 9 or X).  I am using VNC Viewer PPC under Mac OS 9.1 and I have overcome the dead-key issue by using a modified Macintosh keyboard layout, but still I have two problems:

(1) I would like MacX-style key bindings e.g.,

pressing Control Shift '-' should give Control-'_' not Control-'-'
pressing Option Shift '5' should give Meta-'%' not Meta-'5'
and so on

(2) I would like my button presses on my multi-button mouse to get passed as mouse clicks.

I have tried to overcome (1) by lots of individual entries in the key mappings but there seems to be a low limit on the number of entries allowed, and it feels like a horrible kludge.

For (2) I tried setting the mouse (using Microsoft's Intellipoint software) to send Command-2 and Command-3 for middle and right clicks, but for some reason, these don't get recognized by VNC Viewer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

David Morley