Bryan Pendleton bpendleton "at" mail.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:04:07 +0000

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Ryan Casey wrote:

> So this brings us back to the first question:
>
> Can we add an RFB message type to get a data stream to a file instead of
> screen updates?

A great idea came out of the last discussion about adding file exchange -
VNC already knows how to do clipboard transfer. Why not write a utility
for each platform that can insert data into the clipboard (perhaps in a UU
or Base64 encoding, if clipboard transfer are not cross-platform binary
safe, as was suggested in the earlier discussion), and pull data that's
properly formatted back out of the clipboard and save it to disk.

This would amount to much the same thing as adding the file transfer
approach, or setting up and FTP/SMB/NFS/whatever server, with the
exception that it wouldn't break existing clients, they just wouldn't
implicitly support the file transfer. It also means that re-adjusting file
name formats per platform can be massaged more easily.

This shouldn't be hard... anyone willing to take a crack at it?

--
Bryan Pendleton
"The root of all knowledge lies within, but knowledge is useless unless it is collected and shared."