Light Servers

Matt Keyes matt_keyes "at" qbsol.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:35:54 +0000

Not sure I understand... but you can get VNC servers to initiate sessions
with their clients, and it is password protected.  And, as a sys admin, I
wouldn't want users freely using .exe's to open up holes in my security...

I think centralizing control to a server is a good thing.  Configurations
and problems might frighten the non-technical, but then, should they not in
this situation?  The less risks non-tech users create, the better IMHO.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Ben Chapman
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 8:24 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Light Servers

Are there any VNC Servers out there that do not need to be installed?

Why would you want something like this...?
If we want to provide technical assistance to a client, it is easier
to pursued them to run a single .exe than to go through a whole
installation and password-setting process - that seams to unnerve
quite a few people.

If I use such a user, I'd probably not mind running a small program
that has just been mailed to me (or downloaded) from the person I've
just been speaking on the phone to... knowing that it won't persist
on my machine once I've closed it.
Perhaps the server would initiate the session with a viewer back at
the ranch, or a password would be asked for each time it is started....

Thoughts please!

BSD Chapman
Internet Services Development
Safety Works Ltd