Meta and Alt keys

Levy Rami-ERL005 Rami.Levy "at" motorola.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:07:29 +0000

Hi Doug,

Not sure if this will fix your problem, but it fixed a related/similar
problem for me:

I regularly experienced the same problem with Xemacs (key mapping warnings).
Naturally one can dismiss that warning buffer easily enough - and there
don't seem to be any ill effects to functionality of Xemacs.

I've found some information on this in the Xemacs FAQ
(http://www.xemacs.org/faq/xemacs-faq.html#SEC67)

To make this work for me, I added the following line to my ~/.vnc/xstartup:

xmodmap -e 'keysym Alt_L = Meta_L' -e 'keysym Alt_R = Meta_R'

Then I simply started the Xvnc server. After starting Xemacs, no errors were
observed.

Thanks,

Rami Levy