VNC as spyware on TV

David Brodbeck DavidB "at" mail.interclean.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:13:46 +0000

Where I work we're currently trying it as a solution for a few of our
employees who work from home part of the week.  The server is on their
workstation, the client is run from their home computer.  We're using the
Tight encoder in cases where the home internet connection is a POTS modem.
(Obviously performance is much better when they have a cable modem or ADSL.)
Security is maintained by using an SSH tunnel to encapsulate the VNC
connection -- the tunnel goes to a Linux server inside our firewall, and the
connection is then forwarded from there to the appropriate workstation.  So
far it seems to be working quite well.  The VNC client and a copy of
TeraTerm with the ttssh plug-in will fit on a single floppy when zipped, and
installation consists simply of unzipping to a folder on the hard disk.