summary [was: vnc and security]

Jeff Walker jwalker "at" matchlogic.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:09:08 +0000

Looks like the problem with the Tridia viewer was me.  I tried it again and
didn't have any trouble, so I don't know what the problem was.  Sorry for
the false error report.

> > - -Looks like over ssh, zlib was the best encoding to use
> (kinda strange,
> > since I had ssh compression on [low compression])
>
> To my knowledge, the AT&T viewers and servers do not support
> zlib.  If you
> specified zlib to an AT&T vncviewer, I would guess it would
> be ignored,
> resulting the vncviewer default encoding, hextile.
>
> If you specified zlib to a Tridia viewer when connecting to
> an AT&T server,
> you probably got some type of unknown encoding error in the
> server logs,
> because the Tridia vncviewer would have sent the zlib
> encoding request to
> the AT&T server, which would not have been able to support
> it.  In this
> case you may have gotten the VNC server or protocol default
> encoding, which
> is *raw*.

Indeed that was with the Tridia viewer, which is the one I use.  What I did
was use the "connection options..." dialog to change the encoding on the
fly.  (sorry for the lack of clarity)

> A thorough review of the server logs should indicate precisely which
> encodings are rejected and which one is actually used for
> each connection.
> In addition, the Unix based servers have some interesting
> compression and
> CPU time statistics output to the log file when each
> connection closes.

I'm seeing some strange things when I connect by hand to the server.  I
believe I am using the same viewer, but when I connect by hand, I get
"ignoring unknown encoding type", but I am specifying hextile, and that is
what I get.  Strange.  Usually, I use a dos batch program to run the viewer
(the same viewer) with a "config" option and I pass it settings saved from a
previous run.

I guess part of the problem might just be that I don't know what type of
server I am using.  I know that I patched it to fix a problem that someone
on the list gave me, to fix a problem when the mouse cursor moves via an X
app, the vnc was moving it back.  So I am reluctant to use a vanilla server,
but I may experiment with that when I have more time.

> Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you.

--
Jeff Walker                   MatchLogic, Inc.
jwalker "at" matchlogic.com        7233 Church Ranch Blvd.