Is there a stand-alone bitmap/framebuffer VNC encoder available?

Tim Waugh twaugh "at" redhat.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:41:02 +0000

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 03:25:17AM -0700, Caleb Crome wrote:

> 	My question is this:  Do the encoders *start* with bitmap data?
> How does the encoder know which rectangles have changed since the last
> RFB update?

I think the answer is that for X, yes, it gets more high-level
information than that (well, x0rfbserver doesn't..), but for Windows
it doesn't and has to scan for changes.

>  Surely, on a 1280x1024x24 X session, the server doesn't do
> a *full* diff of the current vs. the last screen to see that the mouse
> pointer has moved to the left one pixel, or that nothing has changed.

Mouse pointers are special and aren't really "on the screen" as
pixels, and the pointer movement is easier to get than the screen
changes.

Tim.
*/

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]