Is there a stand-alone bitmap/framebuffer VNC encoder available?

Jonathan Morton chromi "at" cyberspace.org
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 04:54:56 +0000

>I was wondering if the X, Mac, Or Windows VNC RFB encoders are
>'intelligent', i.e. based on high level X/Win/Mac OS calls, or are they
>encoders for the screen buffer bitmap?  (Obviously, it would be much more
>computationally efficient to encode from the high level calls, rather than
>diff-ing bitmaps.)

Computationally yes, but from a design point of view, no.

In fact, to be as simple and cross-platform as possible, VNC does in
fact work on raw framebuffers, and uses compression techniques on
that.  Read the RFB protocol spec (in the Documentation section of
the AT&T website) and you'll see what I mean.