Is there a stand-alone bitmap/framebuffer VNC encoder available?

Caleb Crome joeblow "at" crome.org
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 04:39:37 +0000

Hi,
	This may be a bit of an odd question, but since I don't know the internals
of any of the encoders on the VNC servers, I thought I would ask my question
here rather than start digging through the code  ;)

I was wondering if the X, Mac, Or Windows VNC RFB encoders are
'intelligent', i.e. based on high level X/Win/Mac OS calls, or are they
encoders for the screen buffer bitmap?  (Obviously, it would be much more
computationally efficient to encode from the high level calls, rather than
diff-ing bitmaps.)

The reason I ask this is because I want to build an RFB/VNC encoder which
will be able to encode an arbitrary framebuffer.  I won't have any a priori
knowlege of the framebuffer/bitmap contents from one frame to the next,
although it's highly likely that the new buffer will be the old one shifted
up vertically (i.e. scrolling text).

So, the question is:  Is it reasonable to grab one of the X, Win, or Mac
servers and hack it up to serve my purposes, or do I have to start from
scratch?

Thanks,
	-Caleb Crome