Automatically Accepting Connections

Ben Chapman ben "at" safetyworks.co.uk
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:32:52 +0000

I downloaded vnc from att on tuesday [vnc-3.3.3r9_x86_win32.tgz], and want
to use it for remote administration of a couple of servers at work.

I want to be able to connect to the winVNC automatically, without having
to be authorised (the computers are unattended evenings and weekends).  In
particular, we'd like to be able to use VNC to log-on to the servers - say
if they need rebooting, or following a power-outage.

So far, I've installed vnc as a service, assigned passwords, and been able
to connect using the vncViewer - but not without having to accept the
connection first.  One part of the documentation suggested that if no
password was assigned, then acceptance was automatic... thanks, but I'd
rather keep that password there if it's the only security available!!!

Some past messages that I have searched through suggest that previous
versions used to automatically accept connections, and that people wanted
to be able to accept or decline them... Now it's the other way around!!

We also like the idea of using a web browser to connect, rather than
relying on having the appropriate viewer available. I may have mis-read
the documentation, but so far I haven't been able to do this.  I have the
service running on the remote machine; I try to access
http://theserver:5500 or http://theserver:5590 (I've had the desktop set
to both 0 and Auto) - but just get a DNS error.
What do I need to do here?

Ben Chapman
Internet Services Development
Safety Works Ltd