VNC over W2K

Nick Palmer nickp "at" ericwright.co.uk
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:30:25 +0000

Can't speak for server, but on 2K Pro I've done it using the following
method - I've posted this method before, but hope I'll be forgiven for
repeating it -

1.  Install VNC service on local PC on 2K

2.  Start service, and give password.

3.  Export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\winvnc and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL.  You can merge these into a single reg file
for simplicity's sake, mine is tridia.reg.

4.  Copy winvnc.exe, omnithread_rt.dll, VNCHooks.dll and zlib.dll to a
central location, such as a server

5.  Create a batch file with the following (or similar, depending upon where
you put the copied files, etc.)lines in the same place as the copied files:
MD "C:\Program Files\TridiaVNC\win32"
copy \\SERVER\APPS\Tridia\*.* "C:\Program Files\TridiaVNC\win32" /y
%WINDIR%\regedit.exe /s \\SERVER\APPS\Tridia\Settings\tridia.reg

6.  Use task scheduling service to run the batch file with the command line
pointed to your central distribution point, and with admin privs.

7. Restart target workstation.

I know it's a little longwinded (apologies), but it's worked for me.
Haven't tried anything similar on 9X or ME, though.

Nick Palmer
IT Manager

individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and
confidential information. If you have received this message in
error or there are any problems, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your computer. The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is forbidden. The Eric Wright Group will not be liable
for direct, special, indirect or consequential damage as a result
of any malicious program being passed on, or arising from alteration
of the contents of this message by a third party.