Business use of VNC

Kevin Esau kesau "at" bigpic.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:17:11 +0000

Hi Guys.

>From the gnu public license...

1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code
as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and
disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this
License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of
the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you
may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

Sell it or the service to your hearts content.  Just repost the changes to
VNC for review and possible inclusion in the next release.

Happy Selling.

Kevin.

-----Original Message-----
From: mfpchelp "at" altavista.com [mailto:mfpchelp "at" altavista.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 1:47 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Business use of VNC

My understanding is that as long you do not resell it its ok. Be aware
though it is not a very secure connection both computers are open for
malicious hack attacks offers little security.

On Thu, 14 June 2001, tiamat74 "at" mindspring.com wrote:

> I've tried to find a posting of this in the archives and the faq but I
can't find any reference to this so I'll go ahead and ask this question.
Also, I am not trying to offend anyone with this posting, but I want to make
sure that I will not be breaking any rules or laws.

> Say that someone wanted to make a business that used VNC as a tool to help
determine what was wrong with a customers PC and fix the problem through
VNC.  Say also that they charged a fee for this service.  For every customer
that was brought aboard for this service, the customer would be given an
executable of VNC and they were also given a link to download the source
files of VNC from the businesses servers.  Would this business be violating
the GNU license in any way, shape, or form?