Business use of VNC

Dave Warren maillist "at" devilsplayground.net
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:05:12 +0000

As I understand it, as long as you don't modify VNC (Or, you are willing to
distribute the modified version of VNC), then you are fine to charge for
services rendered.  Just don't charge for VNC itself.

I'm far from a lawyer though.

----- Original Message -----
From: <tiamat74 "at" mindspring.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 12:42 PM
Subject: Business use of VNC

> I've tried to find a posting of this in the archives and the faq but I
can't find any reference to this so I'll go ahead and ask this question.
Also, I am not trying to offend anyone with this posting, but I want to make
sure that I will not be breaking any rules or laws.

> Say that someone wanted to make a business that used VNC as a tool to help
determine what was wrong with a customers PC and fix the problem through
VNC.  Say also that they charged a fee for this service.  For every customer
that was brought aboard for this service, the customer would be given an
executable of VNC and they were also given a link to download the source
files of VNC from the businesses servers.  Would this business be violating
the GNU license in any way, shape, or form?