firewall SOCKS https

Jonathan Morton chromi "at"
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:15:28 +0000

On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 09:58  am, gerard.briscoe "at"

> If there is a possibility to run SSHD on your Mac,
> yes, what is SSHD exactly..... (I know SSH is the protocol)

SSHD stands for SSH Daemon, and means a program designed to accept SSH
connections.  This is in contrast to an SSH client which is designed to
generate SSH connections.  The word "daemon" means a mythological
creature which does good things, quietly, and is in common usage in the
UNIX world to mean a server process that runs in the background.

> you could use Mindterm to connect to the SSHD on your Mac and
> ok.
> then use ssh port forwarding for VNC.
> Does that require a special version... ?

No.  See the following diagram:

+-+   +-+         +-+   +-+
+-+   +-+         +-+   +-+

A is the VNC client, B is one of the SSH endpoints, C is the other
endpoint, D is the VNC server.  A and B may be on the same machine as
each other, as may C and D.  When the SSH tunnel is set up correctly,
connections to B are automatically relayed through the encrypted tunnel
and to D.  Traffic in the opposite direction is also tunnelled.  Either
B or C may be the SSH server - it's just a case of which way around the
tunnel is made.

There is an SSH section in the FAQ, too.

I would suggest talking to your network admin.  If you can't make him
understand what SSH is and why it's a good thing, talk to his manager
about getting a new network admin.  Of course, if he has good, logical
reasons why he doesn't want SSH going, that's up to him and his security
policy and there won't be a great deal you can do about it.  Remember to
point out any work-related things you need to do using VNC.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi "at"  (not for attachments)
geekcode: GCS$/E dpu(!) s:- a20 C+++ UL++ P L+++ E W+ N- o? K? w--- O--
           V? PS PE- Y+ PGP++ t- 5- X- R !tv b++ DI+++ D G e+ h+ r++ y+(*)
to majordomo "at"
See also: