firewall SOCKS https

Harmen van der Wal harmen.wal "at" tip.nl
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:19:00 +0000

gerard.briscoe "at" philips.com wrote:

> Yes, u get the login screen... but it cant get any further as it starts to use
> ports 5900 + and this is blocked by the proxy.

That makes sense. The browser knows how to use socks, the java
applet does not.

> So I still need an viewer with SOCKS htpps support .....

Yes, you need a socksified viewer, and a server (or redirector)
that listens on port 443. It has been discussed several times on
this list how to achieve the latter. However, it has also been
suggested that you should take the *intended* effect of your
firewall into consideration, before trying to hack your way out.
(Not that I'm 100% innocent myself in that respect.)

--
Harmen
http://www.xs4all.nl/~harmwal/