Blocking certain application

Gainey, Jason jason_gainey "at" es.adp.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:11:37 +0000


James,

Thanks,

I agree with the letting IT have access to machine that has sensitive data,
but you know how clients can be.  

Thanks for the answer.

Jason J. Gainey
Senior Systems Consultant - PHR
Major Account Sales - Dallas
2735 Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX  75027
214-905-2730 work
214-689-4975 fax
jason_gainey "at" es.adp.com <mailto:jason_gainey "at" es.adp.com> 


-----Original Message-----
From: James ''Wez'' Weatherall [mailto:jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 11:50 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Blocking certain application


In that case, the answer is no, you can't block the display of individual
apps.  You shouldn't really be letting the IT person access the machine
remotely while it's logged in with an account that has access to sensitive
information, I wouldn't have thought.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
          "The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment"
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : 766513
AT&T Labs Cambridge, UK                              - Tel : 343000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neel, Steve" <SNeel "at" sandc.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 5:37 PM
Subject: RE: Blocking certain application


> I think Jason is asking about blocking the view of an application that the
> client is already running. For example, if someone in HR is running an
> application that displays sensitive data, an IT support person remoting
the
> PC should not see this app's window.
>
> -Steve
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: James ''Wez'' Weatherall [mailto:jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 11:21 AM
> To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
> Subject: Re: Blocking certain application
>
>
> Which OS are they using?  Blocking of access to sensitive information
should
> be achieved through the operating system's security methods, independently
> of VNC.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James "Wez" Weatherall
> --
>           "The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment"
> Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : 766513
> AT&T Labs Cambridge, UK                              - Tel : 343000
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gainey, Jason" <jason_gainey "at" es.adp.com>
> To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 5:10 PM
> Subject: Blocking certain application
>
>
> > I have a client who is using VNC and would like to block certain
> > applications from others being able to view it through VNC.  Is this
> > possible?  There is confidential information that doesn't need to be
> viewed
> > by others on this machine, however, they still need access to view this
> > machine.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >
> > Jason J. Gainey
> > Senior Systems Consultant - PHR
> > Major Account Sales - Dallas
> > 2735 Stemmons Freeway
> > Dallas, TX  75027
> > 214-905-2730 work
> > 214-689-4975 fax
> > jason_gainey "at" es.adp.com <mailto:jason_gainey "at" es.adp.com>
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, send a message with the line: unsubscribe vnc-list
> > to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com
> > See also: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, send a message with the line: unsubscribe vnc-list
> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com
> See also: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, send a message with the line: unsubscribe vnc-list
> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com
> See also: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send a message with the line: unsubscribe vnc-list
to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com
See also: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send a message with the line: unsubscribe vnc-list
to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com
See also: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------