vncserver in xinetd (linux)

Lee Allen lee "at" leadtec.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:26:57 +0000

> I want to autostart a vnc session from a (linux) computer which has no
> monitor attached to it.
> This computer has RH7.1 running.
> I did take a look to
> http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~andre/extern/ixvnc.htm
> adapted it for xinetd (instead of inetd), and yes, it started.
> But I got a grey screen.
> Xdm is running on the machine.
> Locally on this machine a 'X' server is running, and I can log in using
xdm.
> when running vncserver after I logged in, everything works fine.
> I did read the xdm man pages, but I could not see what I did wrong.
> Any suggestions?

It appears the problem is with xdm.  Some things to check:
Check your xdm error log.
You say "Xdm is running".  Is it really?  Can you see the process?
What init mode is Linux running in (3,5) ?  Is inittab configured to start
xdm in this mode?
What does your Xaccess (in xdm directory) file look like?

-Lee Allen