Unusual Failed to Connect to Server Problem, Newbie

Steve Palocz spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:31:52 +0000

First I must thank you for telling us what version of VNC you are using. But
we need to know more about the server os and what the natting software is to
give you a correct or accurate answer.
Most Natting boxes will automatically block all ports above 1024 on the
external interface. Since vnc uses 5800 and 5900 (above 1024) you will need
to open them. (or just 5900 for the native viewer).
If this is a win2k machine, goto MS support and search for opening ports on
nat or port forwarding.
Or search the mailing list archive as they contain the answers to MS natting
setup and ICS setup.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Tony Osio
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 12:22 PM
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: Unusual Failed to Connect to Server Problem, Newbie

Our company has been using VNC for quite sometime with excellent results.
However, I am having one particular server that is being troublesome.

The server I am trying to reach is running VNC version 3.3.3r7.  It is
running on a static IP with NAT.  When I move the mouse cursor over the VNC
logo, it will only display the internal IP address.  When I try to connect
with my VNC viewer to that server using the computers external, static IP
address, it returns the dreaded Failed to Connect to server message.  I can
ping the server with the external IP address without trouble from my
computer.  And when my computer is running VNC server and the other computer
is running VNC viewer, it can connect to my computer without a problem.

I didn't see a way to reconfigure VNC to display the external IP address on
the server, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions out there?

Tony Osio
Information Technology Technician
Transitions Group
(316) 262-9100, Ext. 137