KDE setup in startup script?

Mohamed Barakat barakat "at" momo.math.rwth-aachen.de
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:53:20 +0000

> OK...I've removed everything except for the:
> >#!/bin/sh
> > startkde &
> script....also starting vncserver with the -depth 16
> option shows my kde startup window(just like when I
> first log in to my system). However, still no icons!!
> I really don't get this.

You should redirect the output of KDE2 to a file and check if there is an error
message  including "SHAPE not found".

As I understand KDE needs the SHAPE extension of the X server to draw
complicated things, maybe 3d-icons too. You can check this for your X using
xdpyinfo. So Xvnc acts like a X server and because it does not have this
extenstion something are not viewed.

Let me know if this is the problem.

Mohamed.