VNC with KDE 2 and JBuilder

Manuel Mall MM "at" arcus.com.au
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:35:03 +0000

Just saw another e-mail regarding vnc and kde which recommended using 24 bit
depth and surprise surprise now Java works. So in summary:

KDE 2.x works with depth 16 or depth 24.
Java GUI apps (I am using JDK 1.3.x here with Swing) appear to require depth
8 or depth 24.

So the common denominator is depth 24. All this is with vncviewer running
under Windows NT.

BTW, vnc (server and viewer) are great applications. Why aren't all apps so
simple to install and run?

Manuel
-----Original Message-----
From: Manuel Mall [mailto:MM "at" arcus.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 6 June 2001 11:43
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: VNC with KDE 2 and JBuilder

I just upgraded on our Redhat 6.2 system from KDE 1.x to KDE 2.1. Initially
VNC access didn't work at all but after scanning the list I found the tip of
starting vncserver with -depth 16 and the problem appeared to be solved.
However, I then found out that JBuilder had stopped working under VNC, ie.
the display shows only a window with a black background. Again looking
through this list I found a someone saying that Java seems to require the
standard depth of 8.

Has anyone found a solution for this dilemma: KDE won't work with -depth 8
and JBuilder won't work with - deph 16. So how can I run JBuilder within KDE
accessed through VNC?

Manuel

PS: If you wonder why I upgraded to KDE 2.1 when everything was working fine
before: A customer came to us asking for support of an application developed
under Kdevelop 1.4 which in turn requires KDE 2.x. In particular supporting
this application requires both: A  Java development environment for servlets
and JSPs and a C++ development environment for some very specific interface
code.