Local loop-back connection are diabled

Ano Gohel arg "at" gigworks.com
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 21:36:19 +0000

There are a couple of ways to get around this problem by modifying the
source.

a) Comment out the lines in vncClient.cpp that filters out loopback
connections:

/*
	// By default we filter out local loop connections, because
they're pointless
	if (!m_server->LoopbackOk())
	{
		char *localname = strdup(m_socket->GetSockName());
		char *remotename = strdup(m_socket->GetPeerName());

		// Check that the local & remote names are different!
		if ((localname != NULL) && (remotename != NULL))
		{
			BOOL ok = strcmp(localname, remotename) != 0;

			if (localname != NULL)
				free(localname);

			if (remotename != NULL)
				free(remotename);

			if (!ok)
			{
				log.Print(LL_CONNERR, VNCLOG("loopback
connection attempted - client rejected\n"));

				// Send an error message to the client
				CARD32 auth_val =
Swap32IfLE(rfbConnFailed);
				char *errmsg = "Local loop-back
connections are disabled.";
				CARD32 errlen =
Swap32IfLE(strlen(errmsg));

				if (!m_socket->SendExact((char
*)&auth_val, sizeof(auth_val)))
					return FALSE;
				if (!m_socket->SendExact((char
*)&errlen, sizeof(errlen)))
					return FALSE;
				m_socket->SendExact(errmsg,
strlen(errmsg));

				return FALSE;
			}
		}
	}
*/

or, b) change the lines in vncProperties.cpp (around line 677) that
allows/disables loopback connections.

Regarding registry keys, it seems that the windows vnc server sets a key
named 'AllowLoopback' to 'false', so I'm not too sure how well editing
the registry would work without modifying the code where the key gets
set.

-ano