User warning

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:14:17 +0000

> The problem is, you can configure the VNC to request confirmation to the
> user for incoming connections but the user should know if you are still
> connected or not.
>
> You need also to allow connections to manage the remote machine when the
> user is not working on it (maybe late at night), so is not a good solution
> to force request confirmation from the user because you wouldn't connect
> without confirmation.
>
> One possible solution could be to specify options depending on the hour
(by
> example request confirmation beetween 8:00 and 15:00 and accept them from
> 192.168.1.0 beetween 15:00 and 8:00) but I think it would be enought to
have
> something to make him know that you're watching what he's doing.
>
> What do you think?

Well, the tray icon provides a way to know you're connected which is also
not too intrusive.  If you use the accept/query dialog, they will then know
that you may be connected and can watch the icon if they feel paranoid.

Out of hours, so long as they log off, you can configure the server not to
require authentication when no user is logged in and you'll then be able to
do admin stuff remotely as before.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall