Another instance of WinVNC is already running

derek Ngai derek "at" surfgold.com
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:41:38 +0000

Thank you for asking me this simple but helpful question. I thought that no VNC should have been running because every instance of files with names containing "vnc" had been removed, and system restarted.

But then I thought twice. In the Admin Tools: Services panel, I found a mysterious "SYS_1_~1 Service" entry - no Description, unlike those Microsoft services. Here is the "Path to executable":

"c:\winnt\system32\sys_1_~1.exe" /service

Simply stopping this mysterious service solves the problem!! James, thanks for your hints!

Looking into the system32 directory curiously, I found there were 3 files:

sys_1_~1.exe
SYS_1_~1HKS.DLL
sys_1_~1.dat

I suspect these were neither created by Win2K nor VNC. Anyone else has seen these pieces before?

Regards,
-- derek Ngai