TightVNC crash on 6 of 16 NT servers

Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:39:46 +0000

I had a similar problem with TightVNC preview beta 1p1.7 on Windows 2000
(winvnc would Dr. Watson on connect), but I tried beta 1p1.8 and it worked
just fine.  Hopefully all the correct patches made it into 1.2 ;)

Only thing I can think of would be to try different/lower colour depths on
the servers.  Also turning on logging may be of use - see the docs for the
"Debug" registry keys.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Carlson [mailto:ECarlson "at" InvisibleRobot.com]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 11:20 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: TightVNC crash on 6 of 16 NT servers

  Two days ago I installed TightVNC 1.20 on 16 Windows NT 4.0/SP6a
servers in place of plain VNC 3.3.3r9. On 6 of the servers, when I try
to connect, TightVNC server gives a Dr. Watson error, and stops working
(I've tried both clients, with the same results). So far, the other 10
servers are okay.

  All of the servers will let me connect within a few minutes after I
boot them, but within the next hour or the next day, TightVNC stops
working.

  I didn't have problems with the 3.3.3r9 server.

  The servers each have different combinations of hardware, so the
problem doesn't appear to be caused by a specific piece of hardware.

  To install TightVNC, I replaced the old VNC files, and then
uninstalled and reinstalled the VNC service, and rebooted the servers.

  Should I switch all the servers back to 3.3.3r9, or is there another
solution? Did I install TightVNC incorrectly? I originally installed VNC
3.3.3r9 with the install program.

- Eric, http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/