Undocumented port in use by VNCviewer in Listen Mode?

John Roland Elliott John_Roland_Elliott "at" Hotmail.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:46:44 +0000

The documentation indicates that VNCviewer in Listen Mode uses port 5500. It
appears that when I start VNCviewer in Listen Mode, my machine also listens
on port 5400, at least my Windows 2000 machine does. After stopping Listen
Mode, both 5500 and 5400 are closed. I have set my firewall to block 5400
and allow 5500 and it seems to continue to work.

As port 5400 is associated with the Blade Runner Trojan, I was a little
alarmed to discover it open on one of my machines.

Can anyone provide any illumination on the subject of VNC's use of port
5400?