WinVNC crashing

Frank Evan Perdicaro frank "at" dsea.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:04:09 +0000

> o Server node
> 56K modem, various servers -- including WinVNC 3.3.3 R9
> Runs Winroute plus Tiny PFW
> TTBOMK, all permissions set properly
>
> o 3 satellite nodes. Can Telnet WinVNC from all 3.
>
> The satellites have NETBEUI installed. The server node does not. All
> nodes have TCP/IP installed. All machines can ping each other, by name
> and IP address.
>
> Any attempt to run the viewer as a standalone from any of the satellite
> results  in a error message on the server node re a general protection
> fault in module dibeng.dll
>
> Any ideas ??

Yes.

I have been running a distributed W98 VNC system for a while -- like a
year.  Based on my experience, which is based on past discussion in
this forum plus a fair amount of trial & error, the problem is the
screen complexity on the W98 server and the event rate on that server.
Too many events and W98 kills itself.  Why?  Because it is a hacked
piece of crap that Microsoft got lots of dumb people to buy.

Try this.  Switch your server monitor to 8-bit color, solid blue
background and (most importantly) VGA resolution at a slow refresh
rate.

Now run one client.  Does it work?  If so, incrementally add complexity
to the server until it causes W98 faults.  Make the screen bigger, up
the refresh, etc.  Then add more clients.