VNC Viewer for both Unix and NT on xterms

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:07:37 +0000

Hope Boddenberg wrote:

> We are running a xterm lab that can connects and runs both Unix and Windows
> NT operating systems.

Xterm lab? xterm is a terminal-emulating application that runs
on X. What you have is an 'X lab', if anything. Do you mean X
servers (what appear to be terminals) on your NT & unix machines?

> We would like all the xterm's in the lab to connect to one particular
> designated xterm within the same lab.
> Does anyone know if this can be done.

If you're trying to do what I think you're doing (ie, everybody
to be able to view one X desktop on their X servers), then yes
you can. The shared desktop would have to be a vncserver desktop
under unix, and then run vnc clients (you wouldn't need X on the
NT machines any more) on all the terminals and connect (shared)to
the vncserver.

If you give more details I can reply in more depth.

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst