Redhat 7.1 VNC connection issue...

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn "at" ringways.co.uk
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:53:49 +0000

Hi Tim,

When you installed RH, did you choose medium or high security?
If you did, then IPChains will be blocking the port.  Have a look at
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains and remove or comment out the reject lines for the
ports you're using (5900 for :0, 5901 for :1 etc.)

Gary

On Monday 27 August 2001  8:11 pm, Timothy J. Kosto II wrote:
> I appear to have a security issue related to VNC and RedHat 7.1.
>
> I have two machines:
>
> PII 233 Laptop running Windows ME
> K62 450 Desktop running Redhat 7.1
>
> I have VNC server installed on both machines.
>
> Running the server on the windows machine, I can connect from the linux
> machine.
>
> If I run the server on the linux machine, I can connect to the server from
> a viewer on th same computer (linux to linux)
> I can also connect to the laptop if I run the vncconnect command from the
> desktop.
>
> However, when I try to initiate the connection from the laptop, the
> connection is refused.  I can telnet and ssh to the linuxbox normally,
> though not to port 5901.  I think the problem is a security setting on the
> linux box but after much searching and frustration, i have not found where
> or what that setting is.  If anyone can offer some insight, I woul be
> greatful.
>
> Yours,
>
> Tim
> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com