STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCO

Tim Sampson tim "at" columbia-staver.co.uk
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:29:07 +0000

I'm in the middle of this process too. I'm not there yet, but here's what
I've picked up so far.

You have to have a development kit installed. The SCO development kit will
only work if you pay for the license, or if you have the free version of
SCO. The alternative is to install the GNU development kit, which you can
get from the SCO Scunkware site. This will give you access to the 'make'
command. You will also need to install the necessary libraries. These can be
installed without a license via 'scoadmin'.

The 'make' command still won't work for VNC if you don't have 'imake'!
Here's what someone sent me about that:

"Well, what you really want is imake, which is what xmkmf calls.  imake is
part of the X distribution.  You can get it here:

http://www.dubois.ws/software/imake-book/

It's part of the itools package, which also include xmkmf.

Using gcc you should be able to compile imake, which will then let you get
on with what you are really trying to compile.  (let's just hope you have
all
the libraries etc that you'll need....)"

Once you have these tools, I assume you can then 'imake' the Imakefile and
then go ahead and 'make' VNC as layed out in the readme file.

Good luck!
Tim S