Getting VNCserver to start as display 0 on linux

didier dgautheron "at" magic.fr
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:24:02 +0000

Alan Conboy wrote:

> I am trying to find a way to make vncserver start as display 0 on a linux
> machine (display the default KDE login prompt) Does anyone know how to do
> this? I am also having trouble getting vncserver to start via the standard
Well Xvnc is a X server so something like
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc :0 -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -geometry
1024x768 -depth 32 -rfbwait 120000

in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers works (kde 2.2 kdm doesn't use xdm config
files) modulo path pb.
Add -rfbauth somewhere/passwd for vnc auth before whatever X has.
Running a setuid Xvnc maybe wise too (Xvnc doesn't need root).

Didier