dual display woes

Rob Treuer RTreuer "at" ati.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:44:40 +0000

Hi Scott,
I don't have any dual display experience, but I have seen
similar keyboard focus problems on single display systems.

I suspect the windowmanager, from which you are invoking "vncviewer",
to be responsible for the keyboard focus problem.
(The windowmanager used within Xvnc should be irrelevant to this problem.)
Here is a suggested experiment:
run exactly one xterm on display :0.0
and exactly one xterm on display :0.1
and invoke one fullscreen vncviewer from each xterm, in the foreground.
(Don't run the vncviewers in the background.)
Make sure the windowmanager for display :0 is
set to "focus follows mouse" behavior, before you run the vncviewers.
If the display :0 windowmanager is set to _any_ _other_ behavior,
such as "click in window for focus",
then you will surely have keyboard focus problems.
Only "focus follows mouse" behavior (a.k.a. "point in window to make
active")
should be set, when using _fullscreen_ vncviewers.

If you like to use fvwm2 as the windowmanager within Xvnc,
you should consider using a different windowmanager for display :0,
to avoid conflicting settings among several displays
using one type of windowmanager.
Regards,
Robert.