Remote Install Options

Salvatore Palmisano spalmisano "at" usashs.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:36:29 +0000

One of our remote offices just had their DSL line installed and Im able to
access the router without any problems.  I temporarily opened port 139 to
try and map a drive to remotely install VNC, but it looks like the DSL
provider (Bellsouth) has 139 blocked.  The very same steps work fine on
other remote systems of ours, so Im sure my methodology is correct.

Is there any other way to remotely install VNC, other than mapping a drive
(or IPC$) without having to be at the terminal?

Also, is there any real benefit of using one flavour of VNC over another?
Ive use the AT&T labs version for years without any trouble, what does
Tridia or TightVNC offer that would necessitate switching?

Thanks.

--Salvatore
---