xinetd, vnc, and a gray screen :-(

Norberto Bensa nbensa "at" yahoo.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:57:06 +0000

Ok, I've installed xinetd, I've setup the /etc/xinetd.conf file, and started
the xinetd daemon but all I get is a gray screen with the well known X
shaped mouse pointer...

>From the iXvnc's site (can't remember the URL, but it's somewhere in the
contribs section) :

/quote
Gray screen this is the most reported problem, however it's not a VNC
problem. If you get a gray screen and nothing else then you probably don't
have a XDM server running on your network. You should setup one, when this
is done, you will get a nice login window on your gray screen. Check xdm man
pages (on the unix shell run: man xdm). Recente desktop environements carry
specific XDM servers, like KDM for KDE and GDM for GNOME.
/end quote

...sooooooooo... Yupp, I have no XDM server in my network, that's clear...
What's not clear is, how do I setup one?

I've been searching mailing list archives, web pages, and everything I see
is the same "easy" steps, "add * to /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess", "enable port 177
in xdm-config"... and a couple of other things that I forget at this moment.

It's 7:40am here and I've spent all night with this... Editing files,
killing PIDs, rebooting, restarting, Re-editing some more files, Re-killing
some more PIDs...  arghhh.... I need some sleep.

Could some kind soul out there please, post "real" easy step on how to setup
Xvnc to use -inetd (remember, I'm on RedHat 7.1, I have xinetd). Ohhhh, btw,
my X setup is "fresh" from sources (XFree86 4.1.0), no RedHat RPMS here.
Also, I'm using KDE 2.2 as my WindowManager, but from what I've read that
makes no difference (xdm <==> kdm, do them read the same config files??).
... And, Linux-PAM... Could it be responsible?

Thanks in advance,
Norberto